Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Blank Slate

Jonathan and I got new bedroom furniture this week (get excited!). 


I don't think our old bedroom bothered Jonathan, but it sure bothered me. I don't have a "before" picture, but even if I did I doubt I would post it. I don't want to say the old bedroom embarrassed me, because every 20-something just married couple has to use what they have and buy new things when they can...but I wasn't exactly excited about people seeing it. We basically took our combined bedroom furniture, kept what was in the best shape..and put it all together. It worked, but it was not pretty. 


Anyway, back to the new furniture. It's made by Ashley (which totally threw me off when the salesman was talking to us..."Ashley really makes great furniture." "What I like about Ashley is..."). It's very dark wood, and its very pretty. 

We also upgraded from a Queen bed to a King. That means we need new bedding. Sheets, bedspread, everything. So, right now, our bedroom is literally a blank slate to be decorated. No bedding, nothing on the wall. Just new furniture and beige walls. This excites me and stresses me out all at once. 


I am excited because I can finally turn our bedroom into a relaxing haven of sleep! I can pick whatever colors I want! Whatever patterns I want! It's a decorating dream!


I am stressed out for all the same reasons. 


As previously discussed, decorating doesn't exactly come naturally to me. So I have been scouring magazines, books, and watching even more HGTV than usual. I see bedrooms I like, but I have a hard time translating that into something I could do in our room. I also desperately want to pick something that we (I) won't get tired of and will be in style for a long time. Sigh. It's just too much pressure. 


I love a white bedspread...but we have a black cat who likes to lay (shed) on our bed. So white is out. 




I also like a beige bedspread. But we have beige walls. And it just seems like that's a lot of beige. 




I love these, but question my ability to pull them off without looking plain, or mismatched, or just an all around fail. 






I'm much better at picking small accessories I like than taking on the whole room. I LOVE this pillow from Pier 1. 


And this lamp from Target





And this pillow from I.O. Metro


I suppose that is a start. I will continue my search today and maybe, one day, post an "After" picture. 

xoxo. 











1 comment: